Hello Fellow Walkers!
It’s almost time for what’s probably going to be one our new favorite months of the year here at The Walking Classroom — Walktober (you may also know it as October)! With the cooler temperatures and beautiful fall colors in many parts of the country, it’s a great time to get outside and walk.
To celebrate Walktober, The Walking Classroom is hosting the first “Walk in Walktober” walking contest for all of our Walking Classroom program adopters. You’ll be competing with Walking Classrooms in 48 states! And, the winner gets a Fitbit One and other cool prizes.
Prizes, you say?
Two ways to win!
- Walk and post photos of your class walking each week in Walktober on social media: The winner gets a Fitbit One and cool shoelace locks for your students. (see scoring below)
- Walk and send TWC your five best Walktober photos: All who submit photos directly to TWC will also be entered for a chance to win a set of three full-color 24×36-in Health Message posters for your classroom.
Here is how it goes
- Try to walk at least 3 days per week throughout the month of October.
- Document your progress using the new Walking Classroom “Monthly Walking Log” (— More about this log in an upcoming blog post.)
- Register for the Billion Mile Race and enter your miles at the end of the month (All who register with Billion Mile Race will also be entered into a separate contest for a chance to win a free Walking Classroom set – so tell your fellow teachers who have been coveting your Walking Classroom set!)
- Post your photos to Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram using #walktober AND #thewalkingclassroom hashtags
- IMPORTANT: To be eligible you must post photos at least once a week using #walktober and #thewalkingclassroom
- Submit your five best class photos to TWC via the comments section of this blog post for a chance to win a set of three health message posters for your classroom. [All photos submitted to TWC become the property of TWC.]
How Scoring Works
- Get one point for each Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram post you make using BOTH hashtags (#walktober AND #thewalkingclassroom) during the month of October.
- Get a point for each day that you walked during the month of Walktober. At the end of the month (Oct 30) upload a photo of your Walking Log below. (If you post the same photo to social media using the hashtags above, you’ll get credit for both!)
- Get 3 points for sending your five best Walktober photos to TWC.
How to Upload Your Five Best Photos (and your Walking Log photo)
Post a comment in the comments section below saying that you’re submitting photos. Feel free to add any fun stories about your adventures during Walktober! Then, use the upload tool below to upload your photos. If you have any problems, just send us an email.
Prize Notifications and Details
The overall winner — the class that posts the most photos to social media and gets the most points for walks during the month — will be announced the first week on November on our blog and via social media.
The winner of the health message posters — chosen from those who send us their best five Walktober photos — will also be announced the first week of November and their photos will be featured by Walking Classroom throughout the year (and in next year’s Walktober event).
So, get walking in Walktober and, as always, happy trails!
Leave a Reply