“In June 2018…, my role changed from fourth grade teacher to AIG facilitator for our school. I wondered how The Walking Classroom would fit in with this new role. Little did I know then that this resource was exactly what I needed!”
— Lindsey Hensler, AIG Teacher, Cedar Fork Elementary
››› Read Lindsey’s story
Kids get supplemental academic enrichment along with fresh air and exercise—and they love it!
The Walking Classroom is simple. Students walk while listening to custom-written, standards-aligned educational podcasts. The program provides gifted and talented students with:
- Choice: Almost 200 standards-aligned podcast topics for your students to choose from
- Additional activities: Downloadable or online supplemental activities for every podcast
- Social and emotional education: Character values woven into every podcast narrative and included in the discussion questions
- Fresh air and exercise: With oxygenated brains after walking, students can stay focused and excel
All students gain:
- Higher levels of cognitive performance (on both short- and long-term learning!)
- Improved mood
- Increased engagement
- Improved health literacy
Great for physically distanced in-class learning, remote learning at home, or hybrid learning environments.
Used as designed, the program naturally allows for physical distancing between students as they walk—both at school and at home.
So how does The Walking Classroom help accomplish this?
›› Listen to a podcast on The Boston Massacre
›› Listen to more sample podcasts
›› Download the Boston Massacre Lesson Plan
But does it work?
Yes! Follow the links below to learn more.
- Watch a free recorded webinar to learn more about this innovative program
- Read the results of a research study by researchers at UNC-CH that confirms the impact of walking on learning
- Read about the science behind The Walking Classroom
- Read success stories from some of our Walking Classroom adopters
- Read student comments about The Walking Classroom
- Check out our most recent year-end survey results
Aligns with ESSER funding requirements
“The experience of The Walking Classroom has been amazing. The kids love the physical activity and BEG to walk! I have seen their interest in topics grow and they have even done extra research on some of their podcasts.” — Tracy Jones, Teacher
“I don’t get much exercise, I hate sports and I hate running but this program I love! … I can get out and get moving with my friends and my teacher and my favorite thing in the world … learning.” — Ailene, 4th grader
“I am an AIG facilitator and I travel to schools, so variety is what I need. With this ready made lesson, I can provide my students with quality instruction without a lot of planning. I also benefit from the lessons and the walking, which helps me stay fit too!” —Yolanda Scott, AIG facilitator
“As a reader and person with a prodigious vocabulary, I love learning. The Walking Classroom is a great way to learn because you get exertion in learning and physical movement.” —Sophia, 6th grader
“My students come to school eager and excited to do the walks each day. I love the convenience of having time to get our wiggles out while they are still actively engaged in learning. It is the best of both worlds!” — Ray Wood, Teacher
“I love the Walking Classroom so so much! Thank you!” — Stella, 5th grader