The Walking Classroom Distance Tracker is a great way to motivate students to walk more! The Distance Tracker takes you on a journey around the world starting in Boston, MA and ending, 150 checkpoints later, in Washington, DC. You’ll trek across the country learning about places of historic, literary, artistic, and scientific interest as you go. Once you leave the U.S. you’ll visit China, Australia, Greece, Italy, and many other exciting countries.
Each day that you log miles, you move ahead to the next checkpoint on the Distance Tracker website. You’ll learn:
- The location’s significance and see where it is on the map
- A fun fact related to it
- And, which Walking Classroom podcast aligns to it
Let’s get started!
How to use The Walking Classroom Distance Tracker
- Go to: www.distancetracker.com/twc/portal.php
- Click “Register Your Team.”
- Complete each field as shown below and then hit the “submit” button.
- Now you can begin logging and tracking your team’s progress. Start by clicking the big green “Click Here To See Your Current Location” button.
- At each checkpoint there will be a topic, the related podcast, a fun fact, and some great images! At the top of the page will be your team name, and a summary of your team’s total miles and last walk logged. To log your first walk and all walks going forward, click either of the “Log Miles” buttons.
- Complete the form and click “Submit Miles.”Using a free app like EverybodyWalks makes it easy to track the total distance your team walks each time!
- Your team will automatically progress to the next checkpoint and the summary will be updated with your new total and most recently logged walk. To view a history of all of your walks, click the “My Progress” button. Clicking “Next Destination” will show you where you’re headed next.
- The Leader Board, located at the bottom of your Current Location page (and on the Tracker home page), shows the most active teams across the country for the month. Click “View The Complete Walking Classroom Progress Chart” to see all the teams that are walking.
- Since you are now registered, the next time you log in just click “Login or Register Your Classroom” at the top of the page, visit your new location and log your most recent walk. You can also edit entries or backlog walks if you don’t get to enter them right away. Just click “My Progress” to see all of your entries and make any necessary modifications.
- So now you’re ready to track your miles and see the world!