Does your curriculum includes a fair amount of earth science? No worries! The Walking Classroom can easily support you in your study!
Part of physical science, or the study of non-living systems, earth science encompasses geology, meteorology, oceanography, and astronomy. With plenty of podcasts covering these topics, it will be a breeze (meteorological pun intended!) to address earth science in your classroom!
From Land . . .
Introduce your students to the Earth from the inside out with a study of geology. You have your pick of podcasts from which to choose!
- Geology (5-#74, STEM-#15)
- Continental Divide (5-#30, STEM-#22)
- Deserts of the World (5-#73, STEM-#20)
- Layers of the Earth (4-#74, STEM-#16)
- Mountains (4-#77, STEM-#21)
- Rocks of the Earth’s Crust (4-#75, STEM-#17)
- Hot Springs and Geysers (4-#73, STEM-#18)
- Volcanoes (4-#76, STEM-#19)
Covered the basics? Then focus on someone significant in the field, William Morris Davis (4-#26, STEM-#24). An American geographer and geologist, Davis is known as “the father of American geography” for his explanation of how land evolves. His work on geographic cycle was not only groundbreaking (geological pun intended!); it was influential in the field for the better part of the early twentieth century!
Be sure to make time for some hands-on activities like games and experiments to enhance your students’ understanding. If you are suddenly finding yourself surrounded by rockhounds, you can even form your own geology club!
To Sea . . .
Journey to the depths of the sea with a trio of Program 5 podcasts addressing oceanography.
- Currents and Tides (5-#77, STEM-#28)
- Marine Life (5-#76, STEM-#34)
- Ocean Floor (5-#75, STEM-#27)
. . . To Weather!
Program 4 and the STEM Program present a nice grouping of weather-related topics to investigate. Just take your pick!
- Gabriel Fahrenheit (4-#25, STEM-#6)
- Precipitation & the Water Cycle (4-#30, STEM-#12)
- Hurricanes (4-#28, STEM-#13)
- Tornadoes (4-#31, STEM-#14)
Or pick a Program 5 (and STEM Program) podcast to learn about the basics of Meteorology (5-#11, STEM-#11)!
Continue your study of the topic after your walk. Share one of the fascinating supplemental videos we have gathered. The visuals are sure to hold your kids’ attention and keep the discussion going! Extend the lesson with other ideas we have compiled.
There’s More to Explore!
You can even find some great cross-curricular activities! There are a wealth of ways to connect math, language arts, and even art, with earth science!