The article is part of our series of blog posts featuring each of the individuals and/or organizations selected for the National AfterSchool Association’s Most Influential in Health and Wellness for afterschool. The Walking Classroom proudly sponsored the competition because of our strong belief in the value of afterschool programs and the importance of promoting healthier lifestyles for all kids.
Our next honoree is:
Maryland Out of School Time Network (MOST Network)
Baltimore, Maryland | mdoutofschooltime.org
The Maryland Out of School Time Network has built a broad-based coalition to address three general goal areas:
- Build A Coalition: Create a sustainable structure of statewide, regional and local partnerships, particularly school community partnerships, focused on supporting policy development at all levels.
- Advocate for Better Policy: Support the development and growth of statewide policies that will secure the resources that are needed to sustain new and existing school-based/school-linked afterschool programs.
- Support Quality: Support statewide systems to ensure programs are of high quality.
MOST also sponsors specific initiatives designed to:
- Build a systemic infrastructure statewide (sySTEM) that increases access to high quality STEM programs in the out-of-school hours for students under-represented in STEM higher education programs and careers.
- Combat childhood obesity, childhood hunger and other chronic health problems through a broad based campaign to support OST programs in adopting and implementing national best practices around food access, increased physical activity and nutrition education.
Selections were made by NAA based on strong advocacy for and support of health and wellness in afterschool. Those selected represent individuals and organizations whose service, action, and leadership align with and support the NAA Healthy Eating and Physical Activity (HEPA) Standards and affect large numbers of youth, families, or afterschool professionals.