Supporting the Mind, Body, and Soul!
Triple Play, the Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s comprehensive health and wellness program, improves kids’ health by increasing their daily physical activity, teaching them good nutrition, and helping them develop healthy relationships. It focuses on the MIND, BODY, and SOUL.
The Walking Classroom fits this focus perfectly, offering:
✔ Each 15-minute podcast begins with a different health message to build healthy habits such as smart food choices, exercise, and more.
✔ Students learn healthy lifestyles as they experience the positive benefits of physical activity.
✔ The 15-minute podcasts reinforce academic content while building health literacy and character values.
✔ Walking, listening, and learning differentiates instruction to meet the needs of diverse learning styles (particularly kinesthetic and auditory learners).
✔ Students get 20–30 minutes of physical activity with each lesson.
✔ Walking is a non-competitive activity in which everyone can be successful.
✔ Research shows that exercise helps improve attention and concentration.
✔ Podcasts highlight character values while supplementing core content instruction.
✔ Discussion questions focus on honesty, integrity, perseverance, kindness, respect, responsibility, etc.
- Program is ready to go out of the box and requires no knowledge of technology or curriculum.
- Online training is provided free of charge for all facilitators implementing the program.
- Discussion Guides help facilitators lead discussions to synthesize and solidify learning.
- Free supplementary resources complement program offerings.
- Free online professional development is available by request.
Family and Community Engagement
- Visitors and volunteers are always welcome to join the educational walks.
- “Home Kit” allows students to take the program home to share with family members.
So how does The Walking Classroom work?
›› Listen to a podcast on The Boston Massacre
›› Listen to more sample podcasts
›› Download the Boston Massacre Lesson Plan
But does it work?
Yes! Follow the links below to learn more.
- Watch our free recorded webinar to learn more about this innovative program
- Read the results of a research study by researchers at UNC-CH that confirms the impact of walking on learning
- Read about the science behind The Walking Classroom
- Read success stories from some of our Walking Classroom adopters
- Read student comments about The Walking Classroom
- Check out our most recent year-end survey results